I only managed to edit the prologue and the first half of the first chapter today. It was a lot more work than I thought it’d be, but the prologue and the first half of the first chapter is definitely publish-ready now? haha. Maybe not that good, but I like it a lot more.
I also wrote 2,074 words today while editing, which brings my total up to 20,718. I’m getting there, slowly, but surely! 😀
Something that had been really annoying with both Google and Scrivener is the spell check. They kept telling me that “Conservatoire” and “Shostakovich” is spelled wrong (The wanted ‘Conservatory” and “Shostakovitch” – But Conservatoire is definitely a word, and there’s only one t in Shostakovich). Editing was also a bit harder than I expected it to be, and I found myself not only correcting my tense issues (I never catch my tense shifts the first time, unfortunately), but also shifting paragraphs and scenes around.
I’ve decided to group my novel into parts. Each part would be a different season.
I let my two little sisters read the parts I’ve edited, and I’ve gotten pretty positive comments so far. I’ve also come up with a list of questions for my beta readers.
Since I have one more day until I was supposed to be done with all of 1941 (I’ve actually made my way into 1942), I will be spending tomorrow editing, as well. I think there are a lot of “holes” in between scenes, and I really would like to patch them up before I start moving on. Otherwise, the novel is shaping up nicely (better than I thought, actually!).
New plans for the next few days. I want to sprint-write for three days, and then edit the fourth. I have twelve more days until July 11th, which is my “deadline” for my first draft. That will give me three cycles of the sprinting and editing. I’m also raising my daily word count goal to 3k. If I’m editing, the word count goal is 2k (but I’ll be a little bit more flexible with the editing word count, now that I know how hard it actually is). That will bring my final word count to 53k, which is a full length novel of about 200 pages. I decided to up my goals because I’ve proven to myself during the last few days that it is very, very possible. I decided to stick editing in there because I realized that there is no way the book will make any sense if I just kept going and didn’t look back.
I’m off for the night (for the first time in forever, it’s not after midnight…). I’m definitely crossing my fingers for a super productive day and week!!
Today’s Time Log:
Editing: ALL DAY, pretty much. But mainly from about 4:00PM – 6:30 PM and from 10:40 PM – 11:15 PM, on and off.
Total Time: 3 Hrs.